Indian Chicken Salad
- Yield 4 servings
The distinct flavors of curry and ginger combine with the sweetness of oranges.
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- dash cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound cooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium peeled carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 naval oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 6 cups (loosely packed) washed, stemmed spinach leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, red onion, cayenne and salt.
- In a medium pot, cover sweet potatoes with water, bring to a simmer over medium-heat, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the sweet potatoes to a large bowl.
- Combine chicken with sweet potatoes and add carrot. Stir in curry powder, ginger and oranges. Toss mixture with yogurt dressing and add orange juice to thin dressing. Line a large bowl with spinach leaves and top with chicken mixture.