- Yield 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 50 wafers)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 (8-ounce) packages light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare crust, combine crumbs and butter in a medium bowl. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes, or until set. Let cool before filling.
- To prepare filling, beat cream cheese with and electric mixer until light and smooth. Add half and half, sugar and cornstarch; beat well. Add spices and vanilla. Mix well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well on low speed after each addition.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake 45 to 60 minutes, until cake is almost set and top is golden brown.
- Run a knife around rim of pan to loosen cheesecake. Let cool to room temperature on and wire rack, then refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove springform side. Slice and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dollop of whipped cream, if using.
Recipe by Gretchen Roberts