Incredible Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Bring together southwestern flavors in this tasty anytime soup.
"This soup is absolutely wonderful! It is a very pretty dish that tastes as good as it looks. It is always a big hit when I bring it to brunch get-togethers, church potlucks, or family events. Be sure to bring the recipe, because you'll be asked for it!"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup mild picante sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can ranch-style beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced avocados
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add broth, tomatoes, picante sauce, beans, corn and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with tortilla chips, sliced avocados, and cheese. Serves 6.
Recipe by Sheryl Crumpton, Lindale, TX