Iced Mocha Syllabub
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 (8-ounce, 250 mL) tall jars, buttered
- 3 1/4 ounces dark chocolate (70%), melted (100 g)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (30 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 mL)
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (125 mL)
- 2 cups heavy or whipping (35%) cream (500 mL)
- 2 cups softened coffee ice cream (500 mL)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (15 mL)
- In blender, process melted chocolate, sugar, espresso powder, vanilla, nutmeg and brandy until smooth.
- In a large bowl, using electric mixer at medium speed, beat mascarpone for 2 minutes, until creamy. Add cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating constantly. Fold in softened ice cream.
- Spoon into jars and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When you’re ready to serve, dust each jar with cocoa powder, dividing equally.
- Use homemade or the best-quality coffee ice cream for this recipe. To soften, place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Do not substitute regular instant coffee for the espresso powder, because instant coffee does not have the same rich, aromatic flavor. Instant coffee would result in a bitter taste.