Iced Mango Tea with Lemon Syrup
- Yield 2 quarts servings
This interesting tea combination is wonderful for picnics. The lemon syrup gives everybody a choice about the final flavor of his or her tea.
- 7 1/3 cups cold water
- 6 -- mango-flavored tea bags
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- -- cracked ice
- 1 sprig fresh mint for garnish
1. Bring 7 cups of the water to a gentle boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the tea bags, cover, and remove from the heat. Let steep for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the tea bags without squeezing them. Let cool completely at room temperature, then refrigerate.
3. While the tea is steeping, combine the lemon juice, sugar, and remaining 1/3 cup water in a small nonreactive saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
4. To serve, pour the steeped tea into tall glasses and stir 1 tablespoon of the lemon syrup (or to taste) into each glass. Fill the glasses with cracked ice. Garnish with a mint sprig, if desired.
Excerpted from Iced Tea by Fred Thompson. Reprinted with permission from The Harvard Common Press.