Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield: Variable depending on size of sandwiches made servings
- 1package (2-layer) devil's food cake mix
- 1/2cup shortening
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your favorite flavor ice cream
- Additional mix-ins for ice cream (optional)
- Combine half the cake mix, the shortening, butter and egg in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Stir in the remaining cake mix.
- Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick on a floured surface. Cut as desired and arrange on a baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Poke holes in the baked cakes with a fork while still warm. Let stand until cool.
- Spread ice cream over half the cakes. Top with the remaining cakes. Freeze, covered, until firm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Favorite Recipes Press, Almost Homemade, Cake Mix Desserts, (Favorite Recipes Press, 2006)