Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield Variable depending on size of sandwiches made servings
Let ice cream soften a bit before spreading over cakes. This is also a good time to add some mix-ins to your ice cream for a real treat.
- 1 package (2-layer) devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your favorite flavor ice cream
- Additional mix-ins for ice cream (optional)
- Combine half the cake mix, the shortening, butter and egg in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Stir in the remaining cake mix.
- Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick on a floured surface. Cut as desired and arrange on a baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Poke holes in the baked cakes with a fork while still warm. Let stand until cool.
- Spread ice cream over half the cakes. Top with the remaining cakes. Freeze, covered, until firm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Favorite Recipes Press, Almost Homemade, Cake Mix Desserts, (Favorite Recipes Press, 2006)