Hutspot (Dutch Carrots, Potatoes and Onions)
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 60 minutes
- 2pounds carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2pounds yellow onions, diced
- 2pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2pound chunk of smoked bacon
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Place carrots and onions into a large pot. Cover with 2 cups water.
- Place chunk of bacon on top. Cover and cook 35 to 40 minutes, until onions and carrots are soft.
- Remove bacon. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Set cooked carrots and onions aside.
- Boil potatoes in the same cooking liquid, cooking them until they fall apart.
- Mash potatoes with carrots and onions. Stir in butter and salt.
- Slice bacon into thin pieces, and serve alongside or on top of the hutspot.
Serve with Beef Braised in Brown Butter (Draadjesvlees).
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck.