Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Yield 6 servings
This comforting soup is full of hearty mushrooms.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups vegetable of chicken stock (divided)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- -- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- -- Parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions then cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, dill, paprika, soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of stock, stir until well combined then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the mushroom mixture and liquid from the Dutch oven to a bowl, set aside.
- Heat the butter in the Dutch oven, add the flour once the butter has melted then whisk until creamy for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk while whisking until well combined. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until thick. Add the mushroom mixture and juices along with the remaining stock to the flour mixture; stir until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice, sour cream, and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with parsley. Enjoy!