Huevos Rancheros Quesadillas
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 eggs
- 1tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 1cup cooked black beans
- 1/4cup salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 (6-inch) gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 medium ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. While the onion cooks, whisk together the eggs, parsley, and sea salt. Add the egg mixture to the sautéed onions and cook, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, until the eggs are scrambled and set but still moist, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the beans, 1/4 cup salsa, chili powder, and cumin with a fork. Arrange the tortillas in an even layer on a work surface and spread each with an equal amount of the black bean mash. Divide the scrambled eggs among 4 of the tortillas and top with the avocado slices. Place the remaining 4 tortillas, bean side down, on top of the tortillas with the eggs to create quesadillas.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a very large skillet. Add 2 of the quesadillas and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping with care. Remove from the pan. (Transfer to a warm oven if desired to keep the quesadillas hot.) Add the remaining 2 quesadillas and repeat the cooking process.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and serve with additional salsa.
Reprinted with permission from Hallie Klecker’s The Pure Kitchen (Pure Living Press, 2011), www.dailybitesblog.com