Huevos Mexicanos (Mexican Scrambled Eggs)
- Yield 2 servings
These spicy Mexican scrambled eggs star red bell pepper, green chile and tomatoes.
“To learn about real Mexican food you have to go and stay with my wonderful friend Estella at her beautiful casa in the rolling hills of Puebla. On the first morning at Estella’s casa, she gave me my first taste of real Mexican food—Huevos Mexicanos—which she served with warm tortillas.”—John Gregory-Smith
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 -- red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 -- garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 -- green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 -- tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 -- extra-large eggs, beaten
- 2 -- scallions, finely chopped
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves
- -- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the onion, red pepper, garlic and green chile. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes until the onion turns golden. Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Tip in the eggs and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and leave for a minute or so until the eggs begin to set around the edge of the pan, then mix everything around until the eggs set completely.
- Throw in the scallions and cilantro, give the scrambled eggs one final mix and serve immediately.