Hot Spinach Dip
- Yield 12 servings
This dip can also be used as a vegetable side dish or as a stuffing for winter squash, mushrooms, and vegetables that call for a filling.
Serve hot with reduced-fat crackers
- 2 tablespoons tub-style light margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 1 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream, or more if necessary
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onions, jalapenos, and garlic, sauteing untl soft, about 4 minutes.
- Place the spinach in a food processor and process until pureed. Add the spinach to the skillet with the cayenne, white pepper and nutmeg. Mix well. Gradually add the evaporated milk, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. If too thin, add more sour cream. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.