Hot or Cold Beet Salad
- Yield 3 servings
The pigment that gives beets their rich crimson color and makes this low-fat salad so gorgeous is also a powerful cancer-fighting agent.
- 3 medium beets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Wash and peel beets. Cut each beet in half, and each half into four wedges. To prevent staining your countertop, place a dark-colored towel or paper towels under your cutting board. Steam over boiling water until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix lemon juice, vinegar, apple juice concentrate, mustard, and dill in a serving bowl. Add beets and toss to mix. Serve hot or cold.
- Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Hot or Cold Beet Salad will keep for up to 3 days. Makes about 3 cups.