Hot Hominy Casserole
- Yield 12 servings
Bacon strips and cheddar cheese top a sour cream flavored hominy casserole.
"This recipe is great for a side dish with steak, ribs, chicken or fish. It is a nice variation from potatoes or pasta for large groups. It is a year-round favorite in our community."
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans yellow or white hominy, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1 (8-ounce) carton low-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine all ingredients, except cheese, and spoon into a lightly greased 8-inch square casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This hearty dish can be made lower in fat by using half the suggested amount of cheese, using non-fat sour cream and eliminating the bacon.
Recipe by Gayla Leech, Albany, Texas