Hot Grain Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3cups water
- 1tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2cup black or regular quinoa
- 1/2cup millet
- 1/2cup white rice
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2cup cooked lima beans, black beans or soy beans
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1teaspoon hot sauce
- Soy sauce to taste
- Apple cider vinegar to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water and bouillon granules to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, millet and rice. Return to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the grains are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool for 8 to 10 hours if possible.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or skillet. Saute the bell peppers, garlic and shallots in the hot oil until tender. Stir in the cooked grains.
- Add the lima beans, green onions and hot sauce and mix well.
- Splash with soy sauce and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Serve immdiately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)