Hot German Potato Salad
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Warm and satisfying.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub and rinse the potatoes. Boil in water to cover in a saucepan until tender; drain. Let stand until cool.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Stir the flour into the bacon drippings in the skillet. Stir in the vinegar and water. Cook until thickend, stirring constantly.
- Peel the cooled potatoes and slice into a bowl. Add the onion and sugar and mix well. Add to the gravy in the skillet. Heat over low heat until the potatoes are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bacon. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with hard-cooked eggs.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mackinac Island Medical Center, The Flavors of Mackinac (Mackinac Island Medical Center, 1997)