Hot Cross Buns with Raisins
- Yield 18 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Studded with sparkling nuggets of candied fruit and California raisins.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup California raisins or Zante currants
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
- 2 -- eggs, well beaten
- 1 -- egg yolk, diluted with 1 teaspoon water for topping
- Lemon Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- Scald milk; stir in butter and cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Sift flour with sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in raisins and candied fruit until well coated. Stir in eggs, cooled milk and yeast; blend well. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough, pinch off pieces, and form smooth, rounded balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place balls of dough on greased baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Brush each bun with diluted egg yolk. Snip 1/2-inch deep cross in center of each bun with greased scissors. Let buns rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400F for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks about 5 minutes. Drizzle icing on the cross.
- Lemon Icing: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon water; beat until smooth.