Hot Crab Spinach Dip Baked in French Bread
- Yield 16 servings
A spinach dip with creamy avocados, succulent crabmeat and a little kick.
Baking this dip in French bread gives it style and finesse, with an easy clean up to boot. Cube the extra bread to serve with the dip, or serve with crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt anf pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 pound lump or white crabmeat, picked through fro shells
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- Melt butter in a nonstick pot, stir in flour and stir for 1 minute. Stir in garlic, half-and-half, and milk until mixture starts to boil.
- Add cayenne, mustard, salt, pepper, spinach and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Spoon in crabmeat and avocado.
- Slice the top off french bread and hollow out to make a boat. Fill with crab-spinach mixture then bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly.