Hot Cocoa Sundae
- Yield servings
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 8 scoops (1/3 cup each) mint chocolate chip or chocolate chip ice cream (about 1/2 pint, total)
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, mix cocoa powder and sugar.
- Over medium-high heat, gradually whisk milk and 1/2 cup of the whipping cream until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently 25 to 35 minutes until cocoa is reduced to slightly less than one cup; stir often and adjust heat as needed, being careful not to boil.
- Meanwhile, whip remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream and the sour cream to form soft peaks; refrigerate.
- Remove cocoa mixture from heat and immediately add the chopped chocolate; stir until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mixture into each of the four 8-ounce, straight-sided glasses.
- Top each with a scoop of ice cream and 2 tablespoons of whipped cream; repeat layer once, ending with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately with spoons.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board