Hot Brown from the Garden Club of Lexington
- Yield 4 servings
A delicious lunch or light dinner idea.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- -- Salt to taste
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 -- (3 1/2-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained, or 1/4 pound fresh, sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- 1 -- chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 4 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 4 -- chicken breast halved cooked and sliced, or 8 large slices cooked turkey
- 4 slices bacon, partially cooked and cut in half
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- For the sauce. Melt butter in a small skillet; blend in flour, salt, cayenne and curry. Remove from heat; add milk slowly, stirring until smooth. Return to heat; stir in mushrooms and bouillon cube. Cook until bouillon cube is dissolved and sauce is thickened; add sherry last.
- For the sandwiches. Place toast on 4 ovenware dishes; cover with sliced chicken or turkey. Pour over sauce, sprinkle with cheese and place pieces of bacon crisscross on top. Place under a broiler and broil slowly until bacon is crisp.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington’s Bluegrass Winners (the Garden Club of Lexington, Kentucky, 1985).