Hot Brown from the Garden Club of Lexington
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons flour
- -- Salt to taste
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1cup milk
- 1-- (3 1/2-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained, or 1/4 pound fresh, sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- 1-- chicken bouillon cube
- 1tablespoon sherry
- 4slices bread, lightly toasted
- 4-- chicken breast halved cooked and sliced, or 8 large slices cooked turkey
- 4slices bacon, partially cooked and cut in half
- 1cup grated Cheddar cheese
- For the sauce. Melt butter in a small skillet; blend in flour, salt, cayenne and curry. Remove from heat; add milk slowly, stirring until smooth. Return to heat; stir in mushrooms and bouillon cube. Cook until bouillon cube is dissolved and sauce is thickened; add sherry last.
- For the sandwiches. Place toast on 4 ovenware dishes; cover with sliced chicken or turkey. Pour over sauce, sprinkle with cheese and place pieces of bacon crisscross on top. Place under a broiler and broil slowly until bacon is crisp.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington’s Bluegrass Winners (the Garden Club of Lexington, Kentucky, 1985).