Hot Asparagus Sandwiches
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1bunch asparagus, trimmed and cooked al dente
- 6ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Extra-thin sliced bread, crusts trimmed
- Melted butter
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the asparagus, cream cheese, eggs, seasoned salt and Dijon mustard in a food processor and pulse 3 times; do not puree. The mixture should have texture.
- Spread the asparagus mixture on 1/2 of the bread slices and top each with another bread slice.
- Cut the sandwiches diagonally into halves. Dip in melted butter and coat with cheese. Freeze until firm.
- Just before serving, arrange the frozen sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil on both sides. Serve immediately.
NOTE: You may prepare in advance and store in the freezer. For varity, serve without broiling or split the asparagus spears vertically and arrange over the cream cheese mixture.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Dallas, Dallas Dish (Junior League of Dallas, 2005)