Hot and Sour Soup
- Yield: servings
- 1tablespoon sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 1tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 hot chile pepper, seeded and diced, or cayenne pepper to taste
- 6cups water or vegetable stock
- 1cup sliced mushrooms (try straw or shiitake)
- 8ounces canned bamboo shoots
- 1cup chopped tomatoes
- 1cup chopped zucchini
- 1cup chopped carrots
- 1tablespoon agave nectar or organic sugar
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons arrowroot powder dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 7ounces extra-firm tofu, grated, optional
- 1/4cup diced green onions
- Place the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and chile pepper, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the water, mushrooms, bam boo shoots, tomatoes, zucchini, and carrots and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the agave, vinegar, and arrowroot mixture, and gently stir until the soup thickens. Add the soy sauce and tofu, if using, and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the green onions and mix well before serving.
From the book The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of the East, by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.