Hoppin’ John Salad
- Yield 10 servings
This low-fat salad stars black-eyed peas and brown rice.
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, or 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Combine black-eyed peas, rice, green onions, celery, tomato, and parsley in a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, salt, and garlic and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Chill 1 to 2 hours if time permits. Makes about 5 cups.
Reprinted with permission from Turn Off the Fat Genes by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D., courtesy of The Cancer Project