Honey Wheat Calzone
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2cups whole wheat flour
- 1cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1package quick-rise active dry yeast
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup hot water, (120F to 125F)
- 1/3cup honey
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1cup fresh vegetables*, diced
- 1-- (8-ounce) can seasoned tomato sauce
- 2cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- -- Sliced pepperoni or diced cooked chicken, optional
- 1 to 2tablespoon cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. Slowly pour hot water, honey and 1 tablespoon oil over flour mixture; blend well. Continue to mix about 5 minutes more, or until smooth. Stir in about 1/2 cup remaining flour to make a soft dough. Continue to mix about 8 minutes until dough is smooth and satiny, adding flour only if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 1 minute. Place in greased bowl, cover loosely with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables, and cook until softened. Add tomato sauce; bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Punch dough down and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half and pat or roll each into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Spread half the sauce over half of one dough circle; repeat with remaining sauce and dough. Sprinkle each circle with 1 cup cheese. Add meat, if desired. Fold each circle in half. Pinch edges together to seal and press with tines of a fork.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Place calzones at least 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until browned. Serve hot.
*Chopped fresh onion, mushrooms, zucchini and peppers work well.