- Yield 2 cups
Pour half the recipe for Honey Syrup over the Greek Walnut Cake for a moist and delicious dessert.
- 1 small lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick (2-inch) cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- Remove the peel from the lemon, being careful to remove only the thin yellow part.
- Combine the lemon peel, sugar, water, cinnamon and cloves in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cook without stirring for 25 minutes or until the mixture is syrupy and registers 230 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey.
- Strain into a 2-cup measuring cup. Stir in the lemon juice and brandy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas' Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001).