Honey Poached Pears with Amaretti Raisin Topping
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Sweet Italian cookies are crumbled on poaches pears, dressed with a honey cream.
- 2 ripe but firm pears, peeled
- 2 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Peel of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies
- Honey Cream:
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Cut each pear in half and remove core and seeds with a small knife or melon baller. Place in a large saucepan with wine, honey, water and lemon juice and lemon peel. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Flip pears over and simmer for 10 minutes more. Remove from liquid and let cool.
- Place 3/4 cup poaching liquid in a small saucepan with raisins. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until raisins are plump and syrupy.
- Place each pear cut side up on a dessert plate. Top with equal amounts of raisins then sprinkle with crushed cookies.
- Stir together sour cream, honey and cinnamon; place a spoonful on the side of each serving.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board