Honey-Poached Apples with Ricotta Cheese
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A humble dessert goes way upscale with ricotta and crushed amaretti cookies.
- 2 ripe, firm apples, peeled
- 2 cups port or red wine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Rind of 1/2 lemon, cut in strips
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/3 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed amaretti cookies
- Cut each apple in half and remove core and seeds. Place in a large saucepan with wine, honey, water, lemon juice and rind, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Flip apples over and simmer 10 more minutes. Remove apples from liquid and let cool.
- Place 1 cup poaching liquid in a small saucepan with raisins. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until raisins are plump and syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove lemon rind.
- Place 1/2 cup ricotta cheese on each plate. Top with 1/2 apple and raisin sauce. Sprinkle with crushed cookies.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.