Honey Pecan Mountain Trout
- Yield 4 servings
A simple and delicious preparation for fresh trout.
- 2 pounds trout fillets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 -- egg or egg white, beaten
- -- Butter, softened
- -- Honey
- Fillet the trout if large. Smaller fish may be split down the middle and as many bones removed as possible, leaving the skin and scales on.
- Preheat a grill, broiler or grill pan. Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Spread the pecans on a clean plate or a sheet of waxed paper. Dip the fish in the flour mixture and shake off excess. Brush with the egg, then press the fish into the pecans. Dot the fish with butter and drizzle with a little honey. Grill, skin side down first, until partially cooked, then turn and cook through.
Recipe reprinted with permission from South Carolina Outdoor Press Association’s Wild Fare and Wise Words (Columbia, South Carolina, 2005).