Honey Chicken Szechuan
- Yield 6 servings
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese hot mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, reserve remaining part of orange for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 -- (5 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 -- cooked rotisserie chicken, meat removed and roughly chopped (approximately 4 5 cups)
- 12 ounces Chinese style thin egg noodles (angel hair pasta can be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts, for garnish
- 2 -- chopped scallions, for garnish
In a food processor or blender, puree honey, cilantro, garlic, Sriracha chili sauce, Chinese hot mustard, orange juice, salt, black pepper and five-spice powder until smooth; set aside.
Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and water chestnuts, cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and honey sauce and cook 5-7 minutes, until chicken is heated through.
While chicken is heating in skillet, cook noodles according to package directions in boiling water. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar to noodles and toss to combine well.
To serve, transfer noodles to a large serving bowl. Pour chicken mixture over noodles, sprinkle with peanuts and scallions. Garnish with orange slices and cilantro sprigs. Serves 6.