Homestyle Grits Casserole
- Yield 16 servings
Grits, cheese, and chiles baked together with a splash of Tobasco
"In our a tight-knit neighborhood, parties take place for birthdays, holidays, round ups (when the cattle are brought down from the mountains) and just because we like to get together. I am often asked to make this Grits Casserole, and I hope others will enjoy this easy recipe."
- 1 1/2 cups regular grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic or onion salt
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, optional
- 1 (2-ounce) can French fried onions, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add grits and salt and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, eggs, butter, garlic salt, Tabasco, and chiles, if using; mix well. Pour into baking pan. Bake 50 minutes. Sprinkle crushed onions on top and bake 10 minutes longer.
—Cheryl Boutin, Willcox, Ariz.