Homesteaders’ Four-Bean Casserole
- Yield: 12 servings
"I've made this recipe for many years for community gatherings, church suppers and family get-togethers. Everyone loves it!"
- 8 bacon slices
- 3 to 4medium onions, cut into rings and separated
- 1/2 to 3/4cup maple syrup or packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons garlic powder
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can baked beans, undrained
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Add onions, syrup, garlic powder and dry mustard to pan drippings. Reduce heat to medium and add vinegar slowly, taking care because hot steam will rise. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 3-quart casserole or 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Add beans to pan. Stir in onion mixture and bacon; mix well. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and let stand 20 to 25 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Betty Cochran, West Danville, Vt.