Homemade State Fair Funnel Cakes
- Yield 8 pieces
Fried funnel cakes are a tasty and fun way to bring the state fair home!
You can make these funnel cakes any size you prefer -- just make sure not to crowd the pan during the frying. When it comes to garnishing, it’s really up to you. A simple cinnamon-sugar is delicious, but also think about topping the cakes with a little vanilla ice cream and some fresh fruit.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup natural sugar, like turbinado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar and grated chocolate for garnish
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk in milk and eggs until batter is smooth and combined.
- Heat oil in a wide-bottomed pan to 350F.
- Place batter in funnel and drizzle batter into hot oil, moving in spiraling rings until desired cake size. Fry for 45 seconds, flip cake over and fry on other side for another 45 seconds. Remove to paper towel to drain and garnish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and chocolate.