Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1tablespoon natural sugar
- 2tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for topping
- 1package active dry yeast
- 22ounces all purpose flour
- 2ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- olive oil
- In a measuring cup or bowl, combine water, sugar, salt and yeast. Stir, and allow mixture to rest until yeast is dissolved. Add to stand mixer.
- Add flour and melted butter. Stir using hook attachment about five minutes, until ingredients are well incorporated into a smooth dough that pulls easily away from sides of bowl.
- Remove dough, and coat mixing bowl with olive oil. Store dough in mixing bowl, covered and in a warm place, for 55 minutes.
- Coat work surface with more olive oil and roll dough into a loaf shape. Using a bench scraper or sharp kitchen knife, separate the dough into eight pieces to form individual pretzels.
- To create water bath, bring 10 cups of water and 2/3 cups of baking soda to a boil. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450F.
- Using your hands, roll dough into long, rope-like pieces, then twist into pretzel shape.
- Place each pretzel into boiling water for 30 seconds, then transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush pretzels with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.