Homemade Salted Wheat Crackers
- Yield: 50 pieces
- 3/4cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- 3.5ounces (a scant half cup) water, as warm as possible from sink
- 1cup (4-ounces) Wiscosin White Cheddar, finely shredded cheese
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon instant yeast
- Sea salt for topping, to taste
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and evenly mix to combine. Add wet ingredients and mix for a minute or two to bring dough together. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll dough on a greased surface (such as a countertop) into a large rectangle. Using a pizza cutter (and a ruler if desired, for straight lines), cut dough into cracker-size rectangles or triangles.
- Prep pan with cooking spray, olive oil or a silicone mat. Transfer cracker dough pieces to pan. Sprinkle with sea salt (or herbs or more cheese) and press toppings into crackers. Stab crackers with a fork to allow steam to release. Bake for 25 minutes, or until crackers begin to become fragrant. A perfectly done cracker will feel a little dense, and have just the tiniest bit of give to it.