Homemade Ricotta Italian Doughnut Holes
- Yield: 5 dozen
- 15ounces fresh ricotta cheese
- 4large eggs, room temperature
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 5cups cooking oil for frying
- 1/4cup powdered sugar, sugar, or cinnamon sugar
In a large bowl, beat ricotta with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat on low speed until just combined. Let batter stand for 30 min.
Heat cooking oil to 365F. Drop batter by well-rounded tsp., 4 or 5 at a time, into oil. Cook 2 1/2 – 3 min. or until golden brown, turning once. Remove doughnuts with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Cool completely.
Place doughnuts in a bag with either sifted powdered sugar, granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar and shake. Makes about 5 dozen