Homemade Ricotta Italian Doughnut Holes
- Yield 5 dozen
- 15 ounces fresh ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups cooking oil for frying
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sugar, or cinnamon sugar
In a large bowl, beat ricotta with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat on low speed until just combined. Let batter stand for 30 min.
Heat cooking oil to 365F. Drop batter by well-rounded tsp., 4 or 5 at a time, into oil. Cook 2 1/2 – 3 min. or until golden brown, turning once. Remove doughnuts with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Cool completely.
Place doughnuts in a bag with either sifted powdered sugar, granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar and shake. Makes about 5 dozen