Homemade Granola Bars
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 2cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1cup sliced almonds
- 1cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 1/2cup toasted wheat germ
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3cup honey
- 1/4cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven 350F. Butter an 8 x 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
- Toss the oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F.
- Place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dates, apricots and cranberries and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.