- Yield: 4 servings
Be sure not to overcrowd the pot during the frying process, or you run the risk of lowering the oil’s temperature too much.
- 1cup water
- 2 1/2teaspoons plus 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons plus 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine water, 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Whisk in flour, then use a spatula to fully combine.
- Place dough in pastry bag with starred pastry tip in place.
- Heat 2 quarts of oil in a deep, heavy bottomed pot to 375 F. Squeeze 5-inch lengths of dough into oil and cut off with knife. Do this a few times, but do not overcrowd the oil. Flip the churros over and continue frying until golden brown on both sides. Remove churros and drain on paper towels. Repeat until dough is finished.
- Combine cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar and sprinkle mixture over still-hot churros. Serve warm.