Lemony Chicken Soup with Quinoa
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5ounces quinoa
- 1/2ounce parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tomato
- 1 lemon
- 1tablespoon reduced sodium chicken stock concentrate
- 1teaspoon chili flakes
- 1tablespoon olive oil
This recipe is chock full of protein coming from both the chicken and the quinoa. The lemon gives a zest of flavor and loads the soup with vitamin C. Try this in place of a traditional chicken noodle soup for a twist on a classic comfort food.
1. Peel, halve, and finely chop the onion. Cut the zucchini into 1⁄2inch pieces. Cut the lemon into wedges. Finely chop the parsley. Cut the tomato into 1⁄2inch cubes. Peel and cut the carrot lengthwise, then slice. Cut the chicken into 1⁄2inch cubes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken in batches, for about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside. We’ll finish cooking it later.
3. Add the onions, carrot and zucchini to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
4. Add the tomato and as many chili flakes as you dare (we used 1⁄4 teaspoon). Cook for a couple seconds before adding 4 cups water, stock concentrate, and quinoa. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
Finish: Serve the soup in bowls with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of parsley on top!
This recipe from HelloFresh was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Lemony Chicken and Quinoa Soup.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 629
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Sodium 389mg
- Carbohydrate 77g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugars 12g
- Protein 54g