- Yield 4 servings
Nothing beats tradition! Smothered chicken in a tasty gravy goes great with rice or potatoes.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package Onion Soup Mix (one envelope)
- 1 1/4 cups water plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season chicken and dredge through flour.
- Brown chicken on both sides in a large nonstick skillet, then remove from skillet. Toss in onion and green pepper. Scrape sides and saute until veggies are tender.
- Return chicken to skillet and add in combined soup mix, 1 1/4 cups water, and wine. Douse chicken with mixture and bring to boil before reducing heat. Cook an additional 20-25 minutes, covered, until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water, add to sauce in pan. Boil for 1 minute until thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken.