Holiday Rice Pilaf
- Yield 8 servings
The red and green color with the toasted pecan nutty flavors makes this a special dish; don't save it only for the holidays.
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil; stir in the rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the margarine and add the pecans. Cook the pecans for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the green onions, garlic, mushrooms and red pepper sauteing for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the peas to the mixture, stirring until heated through. Add the cooked rice to the pecan mixture tossing until well combined.