Holiday French Toast
- Yield: 4 to 8 servings
"I came up with this recipe several years ago when I had some leftover eggnog. Now, it's a family favorite. I start making it around Thanksgiving when eggnog appears on grocery shelves. My children are grown, and the grandchildren are enjoying the tradition."
- 4 eggs
- 4cups eggnog
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 bread slices
- Butter to taste, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, to taste
- Maple syrup, warmed, optional
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the eggnog and salt; mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Tilt the skillet to coat the bottom. Dip 4 of the bread slices in the eggnog mixture and turn to coat evenly.
- Place the bread in the skillet and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Keep warm in the oven on an ovenproof platter. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Serve warm topped with butter, confectioners’ sugar, or syrup, if desired.
Recipe by Connie Brooks, Hayti, Mo.