Hoisin Beef and Scallion Rolls
- Yield: 40 servings
- 1/2cup soy sauce
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1/2cup chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1/8teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1pound London broil or flank steak, fat trimmed
- 1/2cup hoisin sauce
- 1bunch scallions, white and pale green parts only, julienned
- Combine the soy sauce, vegetable oil, garlic, gingerroot and pepper in a shallow dish and mix well. Add the steak and turn to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning once.
- Remove the steak and pat dry. Discard the marinade. Broil the steak for 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let steak cool slightly and then freeze for 30 minutes for easier slicing.
- Place the steak on a cutting surface and thinly slice across the grain. Trim each slice to measure 2×4 inches.
- Brush hoisin sauce on each slice. Place a small bundle of julienned scallions on one end of each slice and roll securely. Arrange the rolls seams side down on a serving platter. Cover tightly and chill until serving time.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas’ Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)