Marinated Herbed Tomato Salad
- Yield 8 servings
The sweetness of tomatoes and Vidalia onions with salty olives and an herby vinaigrette.
Ciliegine mozzarella is fresh mozzarella that comes in the shape of small, cherry-sized balls. Save this salad for when you have really ripe, juicy tomatoes.
- 6 ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 3 bell peppers, slivered (combination of green, red and yellow)
- 1 Vidalia onion, slivered
- 1 cup pitted black olives, drained
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella ciliegine
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Place tomatoes, peppers, onions and olives in a glass serving bowl. Add cheese. Combine dressing ingredients in screw-top jar and shake well. Pour dressing over vegetables and cheese. Cover and let stand at room temperature 3 to 4 hours.
Recipe by Janet Crave, Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese.