Herbed Spinach and Goat Cheese Strata
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
You can prepare it the night before and pop in the oven in the morning or let stand a couple hours and bake. It's also great for dinner with a big green salad.
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8cups cubed rustic bread, such as ciabatta (about a 1-pound loaf)
- 1cup (6 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 1cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 3/4cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 to 2tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Place thawed spinach in colander and squeeze out excess water. Chop finely.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in spinach; remove from heat.
- Toss bread cubes, spinach mixture and cheeses together in a large bowl. Place mixture in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking dish or 3-quart gratin dish.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard and herbs. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove strata from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake, uncovered, about 45 minutes, until puffed, golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 330
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 180mg
- Sodium 600mg
- Potassium 310
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 19g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 80%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 30%
- Iron 15%