Herbed Spaetzle and Lentil Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Lentils and spaetzle (tiny dumplings) star in this the heart, comforting soup.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (8-ounces) lentils, rinsed and picked over for small stones
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 -- recipe of Herbed Spaetzle (see recipe)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf and thyme leaves. Saute 2 minutes; add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes until lentils are tender. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Add cooled spaetzle and heat through.