Herbed Shrimp and Feta Cheese Casserole
- Yield 12 servings
Shrimp and feta cheese come together beautifully in this convenient casserole.
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 1/3 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked, drained
- 1 -- (16-ounce) jar milk chunky salsa
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Combine the feta cheese, Swiss cheese, evaporated skim milk, yogurt, eggs, parsley, basil, oregano and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray with half the pasta. Spread with the salsa. Top with half the shrimp. Layer with the remaining pasta.
- Pour the cheese and egg mixture over the prepared layers. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional chopped fresh parsley. The equivalent amount of egg substitute may be used as a substitution for the fresh eggs.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Favorite Recipes of Family and Friends of LSU AgCenter’s Serving Louisiana (LSU Agricultural Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 2002).