Herbed Scallops with Vegetables
- Yield 6 servings
This attractive scallop and vegetable dish is ideal for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup julienned leeks
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup julienned celery
- 1/2 cup julienned fennel
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 pounds bay scallops
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 6 -- frozen puff pastry shells, baked
- sprig of parsley
- Stir-fry the leeks, carrots, celery and fennel in 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet for one minute. Add the wine and simmer for 3 minutes; keep warm. Pat the scallops dry. Saute the scallops in 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the spinach, one teaspoon parsley, tarragon, garlic, salt, pepper, and the stir-fried vegetables; mix well. Blend the flour into the softened butter in a cup. Push the scallops and vegetables to one side of the skillet. Add one tablespoon butter and flour mixture and stir into the vegetables. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring gently. Spoon into the pastry shells and garnish with additional parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rhode Island’s A Tasteful Reflection of Historic Rhode Island (Providence, Rhode Island, 1995).