Herbed Pork Roast
- Yield 10 servings
You can prepare this recipe one day in advance and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat before serving.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (4 to 6-pound) pork loin
- 1 can (10 ounce) chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- sprig parsley to tasted
- Chopped celery leaves to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg in a bowl and rub over the surface of the pork. Arrange the pork in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and add the broth, carrots, onions, garlic, cloves, bay leaves, parsley and celery leaves to the roasting pan.
- Roast, covered, for 3 hours or until the pork is the desired degree of doneness, basting frequently with the pan drippings.
- Remove the pork to a platter and skim the fat from the pan drippings.
- Discard the cloves and bay leaves and pour the pan drippings and vegetables into a blender. Process until smooth and serve with the pork.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Sarasota, Simply Sarasota, Creatively Casual Cuisine (the Junior League of Sarasota, 2007)