Herbed Pork Roast
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon pepper
- 1teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (4 to 6-pound) pork loin
- 1can (10 ounce) chicken broth
- 2medium carrots, cut into small chunks
- 2medium onions, chopped
- 2large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- sprig parsley to tasted
- Chopped celery leaves to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg in a bowl and rub over the surface of the pork. Arrange the pork in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and add the broth, carrots, onions, garlic, cloves, bay leaves, parsley and celery leaves to the roasting pan.
- Roast, covered, for 3 hours or until the pork is the desired degree of doneness, basting frequently with the pan drippings.
- Remove the pork to a platter and skim the fat from the pan drippings.
- Discard the cloves and bay leaves and pour the pan drippings and vegetables into a blender. Process until smooth and serve with the pork.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Sarasota, Simply Sarasota, Creatively Casual Cuisine (the Junior League of Sarasota, 2007)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 414
- Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 154mg
- Sodium 841mg
- Carbohydrate 4g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 55g