Herbed Polenta Croutons
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5cups chicken broth
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1 2/3cups uncooked polenta or stone-ground cornmeal
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/3cup (1 1/3 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tablespoons minced fresh herbs
- Butter or olive oil
- Bring the chicken broth and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk in the polenta gradually and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese and herbs. Pour into a buttered 9×13-inch dish and let stand until cool Chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or longer.
- Dip the dish in hot water to loosen the polenta and invert onto a cutting board. Cut into stars or other shapes with a cutter.
- Add enough butter or olive oil to a skillet to coat the bottom and heat over medium-high heat. Add the polenta shapes and saute for 2 minutes on each side or until heated through and light golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Plano, Lone Star to Five Star, Culinary Creations for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Plano, 2004)