Herb Brined Turkey
- Yield 30 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 300 mins
Brining, or soaking, the turkey in a salt-sugar solution infuses moisture and flavor into the bird.
This is enough brine for a large turkey. For a smaller one (8- to 12-pounds), make half the brine.
- 3 gallons hot water
- 3 pounds kosher salt
- 2 pounds sugar
- 1/4 cup dried basil
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 14 pounds ice
- 15 pounds turkey, fresh or frozen, thawed
- Vegetable oil
- Combine hot water and salt in a clean 12- to 15-gallon cooler. Stir until salt dissolves.
- Add sugar, basil and oregano; stir until sugar dissolves. Add ice and stir.
- Place turkey in brine and cover with cooler lid. Soak overnight or up to 18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare the turkey, remove from brine and pat dry. Rub with vegetable oil. Place on a roasting rack and roast until thigh registers 160F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove turkey from oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
Recipe by Chef Doug Hosford.