Hella Top, Hella Bottom, Hallelujah in the Middle
- Yield: 8 to 9 servings
Make sure you use coconut milk, not the sweetened coconut cream. This is not a light dish but splurge during the holidays with this traditional and authentic Jamaican treat.
- Pudding Mixture:
- 2pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 4cups coconut milk or lite coconut milk
- 1cup evaporated milk
- 1cup raisins
- 1cup light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4cup (2-ounces) rum
- 1cup coconut milk or lite coconut milk
- 1/2cup light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make pudding: Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch-square pan. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place in the center of the oven and bake, uncovered, 45 to 55 minutes until nearly cooked through; it will still be a little soft in center but top will be golden brown.
- To make topping: Combine topping ingredients and pour over the top of the baked pudding. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes until pudding is cooked through. Test for doneness by inserting knife or skewer in the center. It will come out clean when set.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 688
- Fat 43g
- Saturated Fat 35g
- Cholesterol 40mg
- Sodium 78mg
- Carbohydrate 73g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 58g
- Protein 7g