Hella Top, Hella Bottom, Hallelujah in the Middle
- Yield 8 to 9 servings
A traditional Jamaican dessert made with sweet potatoes and coconut milk.
Make sure you use coconut milk, not the sweetened coconut cream. This is not a light dish but splurge during the holidays with this traditional and authentic Jamaican treat.
- Pudding Mixture:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 4 cups coconut milk or lite coconut milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2-ounces) rum
- 1 cup coconut milk or lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make pudding: Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch-square pan. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place in the center of the oven and bake, uncovered, 45 to 55 minutes until nearly cooked through; it will still be a little soft in center but top will be golden brown.
- To make topping: Combine topping ingredients and pour over the top of the baked pudding. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes until pudding is cooked through. Test for doneness by inserting knife or skewer in the center. It will come out clean when set.